GAR Obituaries from Wahl to Wylie
- Fred C. Wahl
- Eugene M. Walker
- George Wallace
- Emory B. Watson
- Frank E. Webb
- Salem E. Weld
- John H. Wells
- Sylvanus Whitehead
- William Wicken
- A. W. Wilbern
- George D. Wilcox
- John S. Wilcox
- Vernon O. Wilcox
- William H. Wilcox
- Alvin E. Willand
- Randall A. Williams
- William H. Wilson
- Anthony Wiltheis
- Morgan L. Wolcott
- William R. Wylie
Fred C. Wahl
The Elgin Daily Courier, December 22, 1914, p. 3.
Fred C. Wahl, 164 North Gifford street, died last night at 8:15 o'clock, after an illness lasting six weeks.
He was born in Germany in the year 1842, and came to this country when 18 years of age. He had worked in the watch factory for thirty-four years.
As a veteran of the Civil war he was a member of Veteran Post No. 49 G.A.R. He fought in Company I, 52(nd) Illinois Infantry.
He is survived by a widow and five children, Mrs. Hattie Ehlert, Carpentersville; Mrs. Agnes Adkins, Elgin; Mrs. Edward Kee, Algonquin; Joseph, Elgin, and Merit of California.
The funeral will be held at the residence at 2:30 o'clock tomorrow afternoon and at 3 o'clock at the Free Methodist church. Burial at Bluff City.
Mr. Wahl was married three times. His latest marriage was to Mrs. Mary E. Thompson, October 1, 1914.
Eugene M. Walker
"Death of Violinist,"
The Elgin Daily News, August 30, 1905, p. 1.
Eugene M. Walker, since his birth a resident of Kane county, died at 8:10 o'clock this morning at his residence, No. 328 Jewett street, after an illness of about two years.
Mr. Walker was born in Campton township 63 years ago and resided on a farm there until four years ago, when he moved to Elgin. He was known as one of Campton's most progressive and successful farmers, and was a prominent figure at all their gatherings.
Besides his wife, he leaves two sons, Charles E. and Lewis S. Walker, both of whom reside in Elgin. The funeral will be held Friday at 12 o'clock at the house on Jewett street and at 1:30 at the Plato Center church. Interment will take place at Plato Center.
"T.E. Lawrence Dead,"
The Elgin Weekly Courier, February 23, 1901, p. 2.
George Wallace died at 3 o'clock Saturday, at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Thomas Lawrence, 325 Raymond street.
Deceased was born at Syracuse, New York, and was 82 years of age. He came to Elgin fifty-seven years ago, but resided here only one year, when he moved to Bloomingdale, where he lived until last November, then returning to this city.
Death was due to a complication of disease resulting from old age, aggravated by an attack of grip.
He was a member of the 8th Illinois cavalry and one of the oldest members of the Baptist church at Bloomingdale.
Emory B. Watson
"E.B. Watson Dead; Railroad Veteran,"
The Elgin Daily News, July 12, 1913, p. 2.
Early Resident of Elgin Succumbs to Stroke of Apoplexy.
52 Years in Service
Served in "Railroad Regiment" and Was Wounded in Battle.
Emory B. Watson died at his summer home at Crystal Lake at 1 o'clock this morning of paralysis, following a stroke of apoplexy. He was in excellent health until July 4 when he became ill from the excessive heat. His condition improved until Monday when he suffered a stroke of apoplexy which left him partially paralyzed. He was unconscious from that time and died without recognizing the members of his family, all of whom were at his bedside.
Oldest Employe of Railroad.
Mr. Watson was one of the best known men of this section and one of the oldest living employes of the Chicago and Northwestern railroad. He was in active service in the employ of the company for fifty-two years. During that time he was for twenty years agent at Elgin and for fifteen years in charge of the business of the company at Carpentersville. His death was bulletined at every station on the line this morning.
Mr. Watson was born at Springfield, Pa., Sept. 6, 1838, and came west when a boy. He commenced his services for the railway company when 18 years of age. When the civil war came on he was a clerk in the office at West Chicago. He was active in the enrollment of the Eighty-ninth Illinois infantry, known as the "railroad regiment". He enlisted in August, 1862, and was seriously wounded at the battle of Stone River. He was confined to a hospital at Louisville, Ky., for a year and when able was assigned to duty at headquarters there as a clerk. Later he rejoined his regiment and served until the close of the war.
He resumed his duties at West Chicago and in 1874 was made agent at Elgin. In April, 1894, he was transferred to Carpentersville but retained his residence in Elgin.
In November, 1908, he was retired and had not been engaged in active business since.
Mr. Watson was married to Maylina S. Woodward July 18, 1861, at Batavia. When he was wounded in the battle of Stone River, Mrs. Watson went south and did much to assist the wounded and sick of the army.
Mrs. Watson and eight children survive. The latter are: Mrs. Flora Morgan, Mrs. Lucy Robbins, March A., Earl B., Delia, Allie, Clara and Evelyn, all of this city.
Remains Brought to Elgin.
The remains were brought to Elgin this morning and the funeral will be held at the family home, 116 North Porter street Monday afternoon at 1 o'clock. The Rev. A.F. Purkiss, pastor of the First Baptist church of this city, of which Mr. Watson was an attendant, will officiate.
Veteran Post No. 49 G.A.R. of this city, of which he was a member will attend.
"C. & N. Employe's Faithful Career,"
The Elgin Advocate, October 3, 1908, p. 1.
Emory B. Watson Retired on Pension After 50 Years' Service.
AGENT IN ELGIN IN 1873
Completes Work at Carpentersville at the Age of 70 Years.
Emory B. Watson of this city, for half a century in the constant employ of the Chicago & Northwestern railroad, was retired from service Wednesday under the pension rules of the company. Mr. Watson's retirement follows an extraordinary railroad career, begun when a boy of twenty years and concluded only after he had passed the prescribed age limit--seventy years.
Relieved of Responsibility.
When the white-haired veteran closed his books in the Carpentersville depot at 6 o'clock Wednesday, it marked the first time in two score years that he had been relieved of the responsibilities as an employe of the company. His notice of retirement was received late Wednesday afternoon from the superintendent's office. Mr. Watson was 70 years old September 6.
Mr. Watson is one of the most widely known railroad men in Elgin. He came here in 1873 as temporary agent in this city. That fall he took up his residence in this city, and despite the fact that he was transferred twenty years later to Carpentersville, has continued to reside here. His home is at 909 Spring street.
Born to a family of railroad men, Mr. Watson began his career at the foot of the ladder. November 18, 1858, he became a telegraph messenger at West Chicago. The company was then the old Chicago & Galena railroad. The name was later changed to the Chicago & Northwestern. For several years he worked at the West Chicago depot. He was married in that city July 18, 1861.
Member of Rairoad Regiment.
When Illinois railroad men organized a regiment, known as the railroad regiment, Mr. Watson enlisted as a color corporal. He served two years. Wounded, he was dispatched to Washington, D.C., where he worked until the close of the war as a clerk.
His life was saved only by a small testament which he carried in his vest pocket. A bullet pierced the pages of the little bible, but the resistance of the paper halted the deadly shot. He still has the book. Mrs. Watson, pensioned as were the wives of all railroad men who entered the war, served as a hospital nurse at Louisville, Ky., where her husband lay wounded.
Returning he was appointed a cashier. His duties were of a nature that required him to move from station to station. Until 1873 he continued in that capacity. As cashier at West Chicago he was appointed temporary agent at Elgin. His appointment was never made permanent, although he acted as temporary agent for twenty years.
At Carpentersville 15 years.
Since 1893 he has been agent at the Carpentersville station. Five years ago, the company volunteered to place him upon the pension roll, but his exceptional health led him to refuse the offer. His retirement Wednesday was compulsory under the rigid pension rules of the company.
Many men that have been high in railroad circles began under Mr. Watson. During the last thirty years he has served as instructor to many relatives of officials, sent to him that they might learn the details of an agent's work.
A unique feature of his retirement is the fact that his brother-in-law, J.A. Norris, of West Chicago, was also retired Wednesday. Mr. Norris has been an employe of the company for forty-two years.
Father Was Well Known in Elgin.
Mr. Watson was of a family of railroad people. His father, Charles Watson, was ticket agent at the watch factory station here for years. Two brothers were engineers on the Lake Shore railroad, one being still in service. Of his eight children, two sons and three daughters are engaged in different branches of railroad work.
Mr. Watson was summoned Thursday a.m. to the office of the division superintendent in Chicago. He will probably be at the Carpentersville depot for a few days, assisting his successor.
Frank E. Webb
The Elgin Daily Courier, April 21, 1924, p 3.
Frank E. Webb, aged 75, a resident of Elgin for the last 43 years, died Saturday night at 11 o'clock at Genoa, where he was visiting at the home of his nephew, Louis Doty. Mr. Webb, accompanied by his wife, left Elgin Saturday afternoon to spend Easter Sunday with his nephew. He suffered a stroke while on the train and died a few hours after at the home in Genoa. The deceased had been enjoying good health.
Besides his wife he is survived by one son, W.M. Webb of Rockford; one daughter, Mrs. Albert Smith of Oak Park; two sisters, Mrs. George Catto of Chicago and Mrs. Helen Fulton of Topeka, Kans., and one brother, Dr. Morrell Webb of Chicago.
Mr. Webb was born in Forrestville, N.Y., Nov. 19, 1848, and came to Elgin in 1881. He was in the employ of the W.R. Root company for a period of 25 years having retired but two years ago. He was a member of Veterans Post, G.A.R., and an honorary member of the Maccabees. His residence was at 310 Marguerite street.
Funeral services will be held tomorrow afternoon at 2:30 o'clock from the Wait-Ross-Allanson funeral church. Interment will be in Bluff City cemetery. Friends may view the body at the chapel this evening.
Salem E. Weld
The Elgin Daily Courier, December 14, 1925, p. 3.
Salem Everette Weld, former Elgin druggist who died several weeks ago at his home in Wisconsin, was born on the farm home near Elgin on October 3, 1841.
He was married to Elizabeth Hoag at Elgin in 1885.
He was in the drug business here until 1889 when he became interested in Wisconsin real estate. In 1912, Mr. and Mrs. Weld moved to Neillsville, Wis., to further the interests of Christian Science. They assisted in the erection of a church edifice there. About five years ago the deceased moved to Merrillan, Wis., to make his home.
Mr. Weld was a member of Bethel Commandery here.
Besides his widow he leaves one daughter, Mrs. Ray Biggar and three grandchildren, Margery, Josephine and Donald Salem Biggar.
John H. Wells
"Death of Dr. Kerr,"
The Elgin Daily News, January 5, 1904, p. 3.
After a short illness, John H. Wells, of No. 27 Hill avenue, died yesterday afternoon at 4 o'clock, at the home of the mother of Mrs. Wells, on Michigan avenue, Chicago. The deceased was well known in Elgin and highly respected. For twenty-three years he was employed in the flat steel department of the watch factory and for a number of years in the press room. For some time past has been a traveling salesman.
The deceased leaves a widow, Mary E.L. Wells, and one son, George, not now a resident of Elgin. He was a member of the First Congregational church and has a large circle of friends who mourn his loss. The remains were brought to Elgin this afternoon at 5 o'clock and the relatives and friends of the family arrived at 2:30.
The funeral will be held on Thursday morning at 10 o'clock from his late residence.
"Deaths of Today,"
The Elgin Daily Courier, January 15, 1912, p. 3.
Sylvanus Whitehead, a veteran of the Civil War, and a resident of this city for the last three years, died at 2 o'clock this morning at Sherman hospital, after an illness of three weeks.
He was 83 years old, and is survived by one son, S.E. Whitehead, Jr. He has been making his home at 4 North State street.
The funeral services will be held tomorrow afternoon at 2 o'clock at F.T. Norris chapel in Chicago street. The Veteran Post, G.A.R., will have charge of the services. Burial will take place at River Falls, Wis.
The Elgin Daily News, February 16, 1923, p. 3.
William Wicken, who died yesterday morning at his home at 250 North College street, was born July 18, 1841, at Tenterden, Kent County, England, and came to this country with his parents when a small boy. They live in Ohio.
During the Civil War he enlisted in the Fifty-first Ohio Infantry and served until wounded. Later he reenlisted in the Ninth Ohio Cavalry and served till the end of the war. After being mustered out he moved to Illinois and engaged in business. He later was employed for a number of years with the Elgin National Watch company. He was married to Miss Ellen Blinks, who died in 1918.
He is survived by four daughters, Mrs. J.F. Saville, of San Diego, Calif., and Misses Jennie, Florence and Elsie Wicken of this city. He was a member of the local Grand Army of the Republic.
Funeral services will be held Sunday afternoon at 2:30 o'clock from the late home, and burial will be at the Bluff City cemetery. The Rev. J.R. Martin of the First Methodist church and the G.A.R., will have charge.
"Old Soldier Dead,"
The Elgin Daily News, October 13, 1906, p. 2.
Interesting Incidents in Life of the Late Capt. Wilbern.
Capt. A.W. Wilbern, for nearly seventy years a resident of this vicinity, died at 1:30 Friday afternoon at his residence, No. 606 North Spring street. Tuesday the veteran was seized with a severe stroke of paralysis, from the effects of which he never rallied, and the end came yesterday.
Mr. Wilbern was born July 13, 1836, at Champaign, Clinton county, New York and when but two years of age came west with his parents. The family settled at Dundee, and there he grew to manhood. When the civil war broke out he was one of the first to enlist at Dundee, and he served throughout the war, returning home after four years of strife as captain of company D, 52nd Illinois volunteers. After the war he returned to his home in Dundee, and in 1867 he was united in marriage to Miss Isabella Stone, of Barrington.
The captain then came to Elgin to reside, and engaged in the restaurant business, being for many years the manager of the Town's block restaurant. He later left that and conducted a boot and shoe store, in which business he was last engaged.
Five children were born to Capt. and Mrs. Wilbern only two of whom, Mrs. Amy Erickson, of Elgin and Mrs. Edwin Wolaver, of Dundee, are living. He also leaves several brothers and one sister, Mrs. Mary Hubbard, of Marble Rock, Iowa. He was a member of the G.A.R., of the Knights Templars, and a life member of Loyal L. Munn chapter, R.A.M.
George D. Wilcox
The Elgin Daily News, June 1, 1908, p. 3.
George D. Wilcox, for a number of years a resident of Elgin, died Friday at the National Home for Volunteer Soldiers at Danville, Ill., after a short illness.
He was born November 28, 1841, in Steuben county, N.Y., and came to Elgin when a boy with his parents. The family settled on a farm in Plato township, where Mr. Wilcox resided until 1862. In the summer of that year he enlisted in Company I, 127th Illinois Infantry, and served until the war closed, leaving the service as a corporal.
June 16, 1866, he married Miss Ruth Potter. They moved to Michigan where for several years he was engaged in the furniture business. In 1872 he returned to Elgin and entered the grocery business, being a member of different firms. He was a carpenter by trade. Two years ago he left Elgin and has since resided at the National house.
Surviving him are a widow; one daughter, Mrs. Estelle W. Brown; two brothers, Wellington of St. Louis and James of Mexico, Mo., and two sisters.
The funeral was held this afternoon with interment at Bluff City cemetery. Members of the old 127th regiment acted as pallbearers.
John S. Wilcox
"General J.S. Wilcox Dies Today; 93 years of Age,"
The Elgin Courier-News, April 30, 1926, pp. 1, 2.
One of Elgin's Most Prominent Men Succumbs.
Health Had Failed Rapidly.
Pioneer Passes Away At Home of Daughter in Los Angeles.
General John Shuler Wilcox, one of the most prominent citizens in the history of Elgin, died this morning at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Robert Fitz in Los Angeles, Calif., where he went to make his home ten years ago. His health had been failing rapidly for the last year, according to the information furnished by friends and relatives here. He was 93 years old.
Coming to Elgin with his family at the age of nine years at a time when the log cabin with shake roof, puncheon floors and wooden latch were familiar realities, and the lurid gleam of the prairie fire was a common sight, General Wilcox made himself one of the most respected citizens that this community has ever known.
War Record Brilliant
He became the holder of a brilliant war record. He was a successful lawyer; he served as mayor and postmaster and was prominently connected with business, banking and railroad activities. In 1855 as president of the Young Men's Christian Association, he introduced to Elgin audiences such eminent men as Wendell Phillips, Elihu Burritt, John G. Saxe, Oliver Wendell Holmes and Bayard Taylor in a course of brilliant lectures rarely equalled.
In August 1861, he became a member of the military company and was chosen its captain. It became company K, 52nd Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and upon the organization of the regiment he was chosen its lieutenant colonel. Later he was promoted to the colonelcy and subsequently was commissioned by the president as brevet brigadier general of volunteers.
Served Until 1864
He served with his regiment in its campaigns, marches and battles until the spring of 1864 when he resigned at the request of the governor and adjutant-general of the state to take command of the camp of organization of the 141st Illinois Volunteer Infantry.
John Shuler Wilcox was born March 18, 1833, at Fultonville, Montgomery county, New York, the ninth child of General Elijah and Sally Shuler Wilcox. The family came to Elgin in May 1842, and established a homestead which in after years was the property of the late Judge Silvanus Wilcox, brother of John.
When he was a boy he drove the breaking team of seven yoke of oxen to a great plow in his father's fields. Practically all of his boyhood was spent on the farm, but for a short time in 1851 he was employed in a store in Union.
Student at Lombard
In 1852 he went to Galesburg, Ill., to take up his schooling and attended what is now Lombard university. After he had studied there for a year and a half he returned to Elgin and began the study of law in the office of his brother, Hon. Silvanus Wilcox. He was admitted to the bar in 1855.
On September 3, 1856, he was married to Lois A. Conger at Galesburg and in 1858 they built their first home at 436 Douglas avenue. Six children were born, two of whom survive him. Mrs. Wilcox preceded her husband in death about five years ago.
She was one of the incorporators of the Elgin Woman's club, and served as president during the first eight years. During this time appropriations of $2,200 were made in the interests of the Elgin Academy, and the erection of Sherman hospital was brought about.
Resume Law Practice
During the war General Wilcox received an injury at the battle of Corinth, Mississippi, which greatly incapacitated his hearing. Despite this he resumed his practice of law with flattering success.
In 1865 he became one of the original incorporators of the First National bank. He served as director for 12 years and as vice president for a time. In 1869, with others, he incorporated the Elgin City Banking company, the first savings bank in Elgin, and served as one of its officers for ten years.
In 1866 he was elected and served one term as mayor of Elgin.
He served a number of years on the public library board, and while its president had the Elgin library designated by the congressman of this district to receive all public documents issued by the government, including the unique and very costly war records of both the Federal and Confederate governments.
Was Academy Trustee
He served several years as director and as president of the Elgin Agricultural society, and for over a quarter of a century served as a member of the board of trustees of the Elgin Academy, and several years its president.
In his railroad experience the deceased rendered one of his greatest services to the town and his fellow men, and in so doing he lost a comfortable fortune. This money was lost in the fight to secure reduced freight charges for Elgin.
Postmaster in 1877
In 1877 Mr. Wilcox was appointed postmaster of Elgin when he was forced to give up his law profession because of the war injuries. In 1882 he embarked in the fuel trade and warehouse business.
He was one of the incorporators of the Elgin Loan & Homestead association and was a director for five years. He outlined the organization of the Elgin Patriotic Memorial association and prepared its articles of incorporation.
He was a member of the Grand Army of the Republic and a devoted member of the Universalist church. He also belonged to the military order of the Loyal Legion and the Society of the Army of the Tennessee.
His last visit to Elgin was made two years ago.
He leaves two daughters, Mrs. Robert Fitz and Mrs. Herbert Kidd, both of Los Angeles. He also leaves a daughter-in-law, Mrs. Louise Wilcox and three grandchildren, Frederick S. and Ruth Wilcox and Mrs. Frank D. Urie of Elgin and three other granchildren, Mrs. Ruby Wilcox Byrd and John Wilcox of Little Rock, Ark., and Mrs. Wenster Anderson Brown of Rhindlander, Wis.
Funeral services will be held in Los Angeles, Sunday.
Vernon O. Wilcox
The Elgin Daily Courier, May 28, 1919, p. 3.
Funeral services of the late Vernon O. Wilcox will be held tomorrow afternoon at 1:30 o'clock in the Sternberg apartments in Main street, Dundee. Services at the home will be in charge of the Rev. B.M. Will of Dundee and the G.A.R. Post of Elgin. The Elgin Masonic lodge, No. 117, will have charge of the services at the grave at Bluff City cemetery. Masons are invited to attend the service in a body.
William H. Wilcox
"Captain W.H. Wilcox and W.K. Hoagland 2 Pioneers Dead,"
The Elgin Daily Courier, January 6, 1914, pp. 1, 2.
Men Prominent in Elgin's Affairs for More Than Half a
Century Called by Death Yesterday
Wilcox Death Follows Illness of Six Months
After being confined to his bed thirteen weeks, Captain Wilcox succumbed at 7 o'clock last night, at his home 304 South street.
Captain Wilcox was taken ill last August. His condition rapidly became more serious, and early in October, he was confined to his bed. It became known several weeks ago that there was little chance for his recovery.
Captain William H. Wilcox
Captain William H. Wilcox was born in Fultonville, N.Y., January 13, 1836, the youngest son of General Elijah Wilcox. He came to Elgin with his parents when but six years old.
After attending the public schools in this vicinity, he completed his education at Lombard University, Galesburg, in 1856. On January 19, 1857, he was married to Miss Mary A. Green of Galesburg.
Soon after his marriage, Mr. Wilcox commenced merchandising in Chicago, but closed his concern there and came to Elgin where he embarked in business. He later removed to Dade County, Mo., and farmed until the breaking out of the civil war.
Enlisted as Lieutenant
August 6, 1861, he enlisted as first lieutenant in Company G, Fifty Second Regiment, I.N.G. The regiment reached Fort Donelson soon after the battle and was sent to guard rebel prisoners in Chicago. Returning to the main army with his command, he was in the battle of Shiloh. After this battle, Lieutenant Wilcox was promoted to captain, and in this capacity was with the army until it reached Atlanta, Ga., under General Sherman. He served three years and four months, being mustered out of service at Savanah, December 18, 1864.
He returned to Elgin and studied law in the office of his brother, Judge Silvanus Wilcox, being admitted to practice in 1871. In connection with his law, he dealt extensively in real estate. He platted and laid out three additions and one subdivision to Elgin.
Named Elgin Postmaster
He was appointed postmaster of Elgin by President Cleveland, July 2, 1886. Several years ago, he retired from business.
His first wife died at Canton, Miss., October 8, 1878, from yellow fever while visiting her mother at that place. Captain Wilcox married Mrs. Helen E. Green nee Merriam, November 27, 1879. She died December 14, 1911.
Politically Captain Wilcox was an active Democrat. He joined the First Congregational church thirty years ago. He was at one time commander and for years an active worker in the local G.A.R. Post. For many years, he was a member of Monitor Lodge, A.F. & A.M.
He is survived by two brothers, Edward Sanford Wilcox of this city, and General John S. Wilcox of Los Angeles, Cal., and five children, Laura G. Williams of Chicago; W.G. Wilcox of Powers Lake, Wis., Mrs. Mae Brown of Onawa, Ia., A. Helen Wilcox of this city and Charles S. Wilcox of Des Moines, Ia.
The funeral service will be held at the Congregational church at 2 o'clock tomorrow afternoon, Rev. Charles L. Morgan officiating. The local post of the G.A.R. will be in charge. Burial will be at Bluff City cemetery.
Alvin E. Willand
The Elgin Daily Courier, October 28, 1918, p. 3.
Alvin Eugene Willand, 74 years old, a veteran of the civil war, and an employe of the machine room of the Elgin National Watch factory, for the past 45 years, died at his home, 621 St. Charles street, at 9:10 o'clock Saturday evening from an attack of pneumonia, following Spanish influenza. He was ill less than a week.
Mr. Willand was born in Manchester, New Hampshire, December 27, 1844. He served four years in the civil war, with company E, 4th New Hampshire regiment, coming to Elgin after the close of the war.
In 1876, he was married to Miss Alma Albie of Tiskilwas, Ill., who died ten years later. In 1893, he was married to Mrs. Louise Nevans.
He was a member of Monitor lodge, No. 522, A.F. and A.M., Loyal L. Munn Chapter No. 96 and of Bethel Commandery, No. 36, Knights Templar.
Besides his wife, he is survived by a daughter, Mrs. Charles A. Treadwell, and a step son, Hugh A. Nevans of this city, and a sister, Mrs. Mary Andrews, Manchester, N.H.
Private funeral services were held at the Wait and Ross chapel this afternoon, the Rev. F. Dean Ellenwood officiating. Burial at Bluff City cemetery was in charge of Monitor lodge.
Randall A. Williams
"Died at the Hospital,"
The Elgin Advocate, June 13, 1903, p. 6.
Randall A. Williams died at his home, No. 364 Brook street, Elgin, Sunday evening, June 7, after an illness extending over a period of more than four years. Mr. Williams was born at Medina, N.Y., Jan. 8, 1845. He came west in 1856 and settled at Ashton, Ill. At the outbreak of the war he enlisted in the 4th Ill. Cavalry. At the close of the war he came to Elgin, where he has since resided. For fourteen years he was a member of the volunteer fire department, belonging to the Ed Joslyn Hose company. He was also a member of Veteran Post, G.A.R., which will have charge of the funeral. Besides his widow, he leaves four sons, Charles, Frank, James and Fred.
William H. Wilson
The Elgin Daily News, April 29, 1920, p. 3.
William H. Wilson, 109 Commonwealth avenue, died at 9:30 o'clock this morning following an illness of ten days duration. An attack of grip developing into pneumonia was the cause of death.
He was born on the Hiram Nelson farm west of Elgin, February 13, 1848 and made that his home until 1910 when he came to Elgin to live. December 28, 1870 he was married to Harriet E. Kingsley, who died January 3, 1912. Five children were born, three of whom survive him, Mrs. Mabelle E. Bruckner and Fred Wilson.
He was married August 8, 1917 to Lettie L. Foote.
He was a member of the G.A.R., having served with Company C, 141st Illinois Volunteers in the Civil war. The G.A.R. will be in charge of the funeral which will be held Saturday afternoon at 1:30 o'clock at the Norris chapel. Members of the G.A.R. will meet at 1:15 o'clock at the chapel.
"Capt. Anthony Wiltheis,"
The Elgin Advocate, August 15, 1896, p.3.
Summons From The Great Commander Today.
His Career in the Army and Militia.
Thursday, Aug. 13.
Capt. Anthony Wiltheis, one of Elgin's most honorable and esteemed citizens, breathed his last at 8:30 this morning. His health had been failing fast and the end was expected. He was in an unconsicous condition from 4 o'clock Tuesday up to the time of his death this morning, though he seemed to recognize his family and some of his friends. But his strength soon failed and he passed away at his home.
Capt. Wiltheis had been afflicted more than two years. He sustained several strokes of paralysis and for six months or more had taken no part in active affairs, though he always led an energetic life. For some days, though quite unconscious, he seemed to realize that the end was near. His death was very peaceful. Capt. Wiltheis was born in Millheim, Pa., March 5, 1845. His father was a German and his mother an American, born in Pennsylvania. Both parents are dead. His grandfather served in the Mexican war. Capt. Wiltheis had two brothers, William and Charles, who were in the war of the rebellion and won honorable records. The latter brother was taken prisoner at Andersonville and was never heard of afterwards.
Anthony Wiltheis was attending school when the war broke out. In the early days of the rebellion his young soul was stirred with the desire to aid in the great stuggle, and on July 3, 1862, he offered his services to his country and enlisted in the 137th Pennsylvania Volunteer infantry. His company formed at Harrisburg and left there the same month for Washington where it aided in fortifying and protecting the city against a threatened attack.
Through the Maryland campaign, Capt. Wiltheis was afflicted with a chronic disease and had to be removed to Arlington Heights, Washington. He was placed in Gen. Lee's house where he remained until a temporary hospital was fitted up. In about two weeks he was taken with typhoid fever and his weight was reduced (to) just seventy pounds. His strong constitution overcame the sickness and he recovered.
Feb. 24, 1864, he reenlisted in the 7th Pennsylvania Veteran cavalry. In March he was ordered for Nashville, and encamped at Fort Negley, Tenn., for which point he joined Gen. Sherman's army at Ringold, Ga., and took part in all the battles and skirmishes until the fall of Atlanta.
Capt. Wiltheis participated in the great raid, which began at Jonesboro. Here they tore up the railroad and burned and destroyed property. After leaving their place they were surrounded by the enemy and were rescued by Gen. Minty's brigade, led by Gen. Kirkpatrick. The regiment was ordered back to Nashville and from there went to Louisville, and into winter quarters at Gravelly Spring, Ala. The men took part in the Wilson cavalry raid and engaged in the battle of Selma, Ala., which resulted in the capture of Gen. Forrest's command, he escaping across the river. Soon the orders came to scour the country and apprehend Jeff Davis. Mr. Wiltheis' company was near when Davis was captured by the 4th Michigan cavalry, and within six hours started with him for Macon, Ga., where he was turned over to government authority and sent to Washington. Sept. 15 the regiment was discharged at Macon and paid off at Harrisburg.
In 1866 Capt. Wiltheis moved from Pennsylvania to Wheaton, Ill., where he served as town clerk. After six years he came to Elgin and had been here ever since, most of the time, until the past few years, engaged in the shoe business.
Aug. 15, 1877, he enlisted as private in Co. E, 3rd regiment, Illinois National Guard, and was appointed sergeant the same month. He passed though the different offices and was elected captain of the guards Aug. 4, 1884, and served in that capacity up to last year, when he retired and was succeeded by Capt. Caughey.
He married Hattie Albert at Lewisburg, Pa., Jan. 31, 1867. She survives, as do three children, Eva, (Mrs. Fred M. Adams), Carrie and Tyra. He was an honored member of a number of organizations, including Monitor lodge, A.F. & A.M., the Grand Army, the National Union, and Knights of the Globe, and in politics was always a republican. In the spring of 1895 he was elected town collector, and though much disabled by paralysis, aided in performing the duties of the office. For many years he was connected with the First Congregational church, and for 20 years was secretary and treasurer of the Sunday school.
In the death of Capt. Wiltheis, after fifty-one years of active life, Elgin loses one of her best citizens, active and honorable, and true to every conviction which goes to make up an impeachable character.
The funeral will be on Saturday or Sunday.
Morgan L. Wolcott
The Elgin Daily News, April 4, 1893, p. 3.
An Old Soldier and Good Citizen Gone to His Reward.
Morgan L. Wolcott, aged 67 years, 10 months, and 14 days, died of heart failure at 6:30 o'clock Monday evening at his home, 316 Addison street. Deceased had been for many years a prominent farmer near Wayne. He was born in Henderson, Jefferson county, N.Y., but had resided in this state for thirty-eight years. Since his retirement from agricultural pursuits he had lived in Elgin. He leaves a wife and three children, besides many friends who will hear with regret of his death. He was universally respected. The children are Mrs. A.W. Moffatt of Algona, Iowa, Frank of Chicago, and Edwin of Elgin.
The funeral will be held Wednesday afternoon at 2 o'clock from the house and will be in charge of the Grand Army.