GAR Obituaries from Lamb to Lynd
- Howard S. Lamb
- Jomes B.Lane
- Lloyd P. Lathrop
- Oscar Lawrence
- Thomas E. Lawrence
- William H. Leach
- Abraham Leatherman
- George D. Leattor
- Abijah A. Lee
- A. T. Lewis
- Joseph Lightfoot
- Henry S. Loomis
- Edward C. Lovell
- David J. Lynch
- Eugene Lynch
- William R. Lynd
Howard S. Lamb
"Howard Lamb, Veteran Of Civil War, Dies at 95,"
The Elgin Courier-News, May 3, 1937, p. 1.
Howard S. Lamb, 95 years old, another of the city's few survivors of the Civil war, died last night at 8 in his home, 10 S. Geneva st. He had been an invalid for more than a decade.
Mr. Lamb was one of Elgin's oldest residents, and was the sole surviving member of Veterans post 49, Grand Army of the Republic, residing in this city. There is only one other member of the Elgin post living--DeVolois W. Stevens of Wasco. Once the post boasted a membership roster of 443.
Five Veterans Remain.
The death of Mr. Lamb reduced to five the number of "Boys in Blue" remaining in Elgin. These are Jonathan T. Miller, 96 years old; James M. Coffman and William S. Shales. each 95; John S. Albright, 93, and Oliver E. Davis, 91.
Mr. Lamb was born in Delaware, O., on Dec. 3, 1841, a son of Reuben and Emily (Howard) Lamb.
He enlisted for war service on June 3, 1861, with Company C of the Fourth Ohio Infantry, and saw action on many battlefields. In the struggle at Fredericksburg he was wounded in the knee. Mr. Lamb's father served with the Sixty-sixth Ohio during the war.
The veteran was a member of Brookfield, Mo., post of the Grand Army before coming to this city in 1898, and affiliating with Veteran post 49.
Was Railway Mechanic.
A railway mechanic by trade, Mr. Lamb was employed in Ohio and Missouri for many years before he came to Elgin. Of late years he had made his home in this city with a daughter, Mrs. Mae Carpenter.
Mr. Lamb was married to Miss Fretta Turner 68 years ago. She died in 1930. He is survived by the daughter, Mrs. Carpenter; two sons, R.T. Lamb of Nelsonville, O., and A.R. Lamb of New Britain, Conn., three grandchildren, four great grandchildren, and three great great grandchildren.
The funeral service will be held Wednesday afternoon at 1:30 from the Norris mortuary, with the Rev. Dr. Armin G. Weng, pastor of Holy Trinity church, officiating. Burial will be in Bluff City cemetery. Friends may call at the mortuary
James B. Lane
"Death of J.B. Lane,"
The Elgin Daily News, February 16, 1904, p. 1.
ONE OF ELGIN'S ESTEEMED BUSINESS MEN ANSWERS LAST CALL.
Had Been Steadily Failing in Health for More Than a Year.
James B. Lane, a long time and highly esteemed resident of Elgin, died early this morning at the home of his father-in-law, where he had been confined, seriously ill, for a little over three months, of consumption. His father and mother-in-law, Mr. and Mrs. P. Moulton, Mr. and Mrs. Roy L. Lane, Mrs. J.B. Lane and William Grote were with him all the night and were present at the end.
Mr. Lane has been failing for the last year or so and had just returned from a trip to Salina, Col., where he went in search of a change of climate that would benefit his health. He arrived here in September and soon was so ill as to be confined to the home continuously. He rallied again and was able to be taken out in a carriage. This was only temporary. He has been too ill to leave the house for more than three months.
James B. Lane was born June 15, 1845, at Mechanicsville, Saratoga county, New York. There he attended the public schools and laid the foundation for his successful business career. He came to Elgin in 1874 and engaged in contracting and building. He later, with others, established the Elgin Lumber company, of which he was for years manager, and the Elgin Brick and Tile company, he being the president of the later.
Mr. Lane was among the foremost of the men who originated the system of electric street railways. He engineered the construction of the Carpentersville, Elgin and Aurora line and was president of same until it consolidated with the Elgin City railway. Mr. Lane was actively interested in bringing to Elgin the Ludlow shoe factory, now owned by Selz, Schwab & Co., and was one of the syndicate with Judge S. Wilcox, John McNeil, A.B. Church and William Grote, who established the silver plate factory here.
Mr. Lane enlisted in his country's service at Troy, N.Y., when but eighteen years of age. He was assigned to company E, 21st New York cavalry, was with General Sherman at Winchester, and was mustered out of service in Colorado in 1866.
Mr. Lane was married to Emma E. Moulton at Barrington, Ill., in May, 1874.
Besides his widow and mother and father-in-law, Mr. Lane leaves his son, Roy L., of Chicago, and a daughter, Mrs. Grace Lane Greene, of Salida, Col.
The funeral will be held Thursday at 1 o'clock from the house, corner of Brook and Lovel(l) streets, and at 2 from the First Baptist church.
Lloyd P. Lathrop
The Elgin Daily News, March 14, 1922, p. 3.
Lloyd P. Lathrop, a Civil war veteran, died this morning at 9 o'clock at his home, 318 DuPage street at the age of ninety-two. For the past two years he has been partially disabled, but has only been confined to his bed for the past ten days.
The deceased was born January 7, 1830 in Ondaga (sic) county, New York, and came to Illinois in 1852. He was united in marriage to Armenia Reser in 1857. For three years he fought in the Civil war. He had resided in Elgin and its vicinity for the past seventy years.
He is survived by his wife and three children, William of Woodstock, Mrs. S.A. Russell of Elgin and Harry of Chicago. One son, Walter, preceded him death at the age of fifteen.
Funeral services will be held at 1 o'clock Thursday afternoon from the Norris Chapel, Rev. A.D. McGlashan, pastor of the First Baptist church, and the G.A.R. will have charge of the services. Burial at Udina cemetery.
"Oscar Lawrence, Pioneer, Dies,"
The Elgin Daily Courier, November 9, 1906, p. 1.
Well Known Farmer Expires at His Home
Northwest of City Near Almora.
COUSIN OF GEORGE M. PECK
Deceased Came West Early in Century as a Boy
and Had Lived Here 64 years.
Oscar S. Lawrence, a pioneer resident and farmer of this vicinity, died at his home northwest of Elgin on the Almora road at 11:15 this morning, after a few days' illness. Last Saturday Mr. Lawrence had been walking around his farm premises, apparently in good health. Early Sunday morning he suffered a stroke of apoplexy, from which he never recovered.
Since the stroke, the aged man had not been able to speak a word, and during the twenty four hours preceding his decease his death was expected at any minute. Had he lived until December, he would have been 79 years of age.
Came West a Boy.
Mr. Lawrence was born in New York state in December, 1827. In his early boyhood he came West, with his parents, in common with the many easterners who hoped to better their fortunes by moving to the new lands in this section of the country. He married Miss Frances J. Kilbourne, and moved to the farm now known as the Lawrence farm. For more than 64 years he had resided here devoting all his time as a tiller of the soil. To this marital union were born four children, all of whom, excepting one, preceded their parents in death. Besides the widow, one daughter, Miss Carrie Lawrence, survives the deceased.
George M. Peck a Cousin.
A number of relatives further removed, also survive Mr. Lawrence. George M. Peck, the dry goods merchant of this city, is a cousin; Mrs. Fannie Lee, a niece; W.A. Lee, nephew; Mrs. William Roberts, niece; Mrs. Jack Martin, niece; James Lawrence, nephew.
The deceased did not have any church affiliation, but had inclined toward the Congregational church, which he had attended. The funeral will be held Monday afternoon at 2 o'clock from the house, with burial in Bluff City cemetery.
Many of the local members of the Grand Army of the Republic will attend the funeral of Mr. Lawrence, as the latter had been a member of this organization, and had served ably throughout the Civil war.
Thomas E. Lawrence
"She Is Doubly Bereft,"
The Elgin Daily News, February 18, 1901, p. 3.
MRS. THOMAS E. LAWRENCE LOSES HUSBAND
While Her Father Lies Dead in the House.
Thomas Edward Lawrence is dead.
Mr. Lawrence's death had been expected several weeks, as the complication of diseases with which he was afflicted made it impossible that he should recover. For over a year he had been ailing but during the last six weeks he was confined to his bed. The end came at 6 a.m. Sunday.
Mr. Lawrence was born in Cranmer, near the city of Kingston, Canada, Sept. 29, 1833, and was the son of the late Nelson and Elizabeth (Smith) Lawrence, who were natives of New York.
Thomas E. Lawrence obtained his early schooling in Rochester, N.Y., and in 1844 came to Illinois locating at Greenwood, McHenry county, where he remained until 1846, and then moved to Elgin. At the age of 13 he entered of office of the Western Christian, a Baptist anti-slavery publication, and the first paper published in Elgin. Later he went to Chicago and worked on the Democrat for a year and a half and then learned the mason's trade, making a specialty of ornamental plastering. This vocation he followed and had charge of the mason work on the insane asylum at Elgin for thirteen years.
When the civil war broke out Mr. Lawrence enlisted Sept. 6, 1861, in Company K, Fifty-second Illinois infantry, and a year later was promoted to the office of principal musician. He served with his regiment until October, 1864.
In politics he was an uncompromising republican and served as township collector one year. He was an active member of Veteran post, Grand Army of the Republic.
For several years he held the position of operator at police headquarters.
In April, 1854, he was married to Miss Eliza Young, whose death occurred in August, 1859. In October, 1861, Miss Olive Green became his wife. May 3, 1879, death claimed her. Oct. 15, 1880, Mr. Lawrence was married to Miss Mary Wallace, a native of Elgin, and a daughter of Geo. Wallace, who came to Elgin in 1844, from St. Lawrence county, New York. Mr. Wallace died last Saturday morning at the home of Mr. Lawrence and his funeral was held this afternoon.
Mr. Lawrence leaves a sister, Mrs. May Witt, of Iowa.
Mr. Lawrence had been conspicuous in Masonic circles for the past forty years and was one of the best known and highly esteemed brothers in the fraternity. His unselfish labors and tireless energy in the interest of his local lodge endeared him to the heart of every member of the craft in Elgin, as well as throughout the state.
Mr. Lawrence was initiated and raised to the master mason degree in Genoa lodge, No. 288, about June, 1858, was elected senior warden in December of the same year, and in 1859 he became worshipful master. He resigned in 1865 and affiliated with Elgin lodge, No. 117, in which he was elected worshipful master in 1869, and served as secretary for seventeen years, concluding his term of office in 1896.
He received chapter degrees in Sycamore chapter, No. 19, R.A.M., in October 1858. In October 1866 he was knighted in Sycamore commandery, No. 15. It was May 9, 1867 that the deceased received the degrees in the various ineffable grades of Scottish rite at Geneva, Ill. He was also past patron of Elgin chapter, No. 212, Eastern Star. During late years he became a member of the Masonic Veterans' association of Chicago and the Mystic Shrine of Chicago.
Mr. Lawrence has many staunch friends in this and other communities who were ready to do his bidding to the last. During his long illness many called at the home to inquire after his health.
Old timers recall a flood of reminiscences concerning the deceased. In the army he was the true type of an American soldier, always considering duty before pleasure. He was a good neighbor and a good citizen.
The funeral will be held at 2 p.m. Tuesday at the First Congregational church. A short service at the house will precede the church service. Dr. Chalmers, pastor of the church, will officiate. Interment will take place in Bluff City cemetery.
William H. Leach
The Elgin Daily News, January 9, 1911, p. 5.
William H. Leach, for the last eighteen years a resident of this city, an employe of the Moseley Lathe company and a prominent member of Veteran post, No. 49, G.A.R., died at his home, 307 North Gifford street, at 8:15 o'clock Sunday morning, aged 66 years.
Mr. Leach was born in Keesville, N.Y., in 1844. At the age of 17 years he enlisted in the army, becoming a member of that famous organization, Berdan's U.S. Sharpshooters. With this body of soldiers he served during the first three years of the war, when he was honorably discharged owing to a wound received during the Battle of Gettysburg. Eighteen years ago he came to this city, where he had since resided.
He is survived by his widow, and two daughters, Elizabeth and Katherine, all of Elgin.
Funeral services will be held from the family home, 307 North Gifford street, Tuesday afternoon at 2 o'clock and will be in charge of the members of Veteran Post, No. 49, G.A.R. Interment at Bluff City cemetery.
The Elgin Daily News, April 28, 1909, p. 5.
Abraham Leatherman, retired, and for twenty-five years a resident of this city, died last evening at his home at the southwest corner of Park street and Porter avenue after a comparatively short illness.
Abraham Leatherman was born at Hanover township, Cook county, Dec. 21, 1846, where he lived until his retirement from the agricultural vocation and came to this city. At the outbreak of the Civil war he went to Middleport, where he enlisted in Company F, 112th Illinois, serving throughout the war, and receiving an honorable discharge as a ranking corporal.
Two years after the close of the war he married Miss Josephine McChesney and five children were born, three of whom survive. Mr. Leatherman was one of a family of nine children and is survived by one brother, John of Watseka, Ill.
Deceased is survived by a widow and three daughters, Mrs. Edward Hunt, Ida and Ethel Leatherman, all of this city, and two grandchildren.
The funeral will be held Friday afternoon at 3 o'clock from the house, 170 North Porter street, and Dr. Morgan will officiate. The Grand Army of the Republic will attend the funeral in a body and will officiate at the commitment service in Bluff City cemetery.
George D. Leattor
"Death of G.D. Leattor,"
The Elgin Daily News, August 25, 1904, p. 1.
Well Known Resident of Elgin Expired Last Night.
George D. Leattor, a well known resident of Elgin, died last night at the home of his daughter, Mrs. E.W. Cook, No. 464 Laurel street, after an illness of about five months. He was a member and past master of Monitor Lodge, A.F. and A.M., and also a member of Veteran Post, No. 49, G.A.R., having served in the war of the rebellion with Co. A, 101st Pennsylvania Volunteers.
Mr. Leattor was born in McVeyton, Pa., 60 years ago and lived there the earlier half of his life. About thirty years ago he came to Elgin and worked in the watch factory nearly all that time. He is well and favorably known through the whole community. He leaves one daughter, Mrs. E.W. Cook, his wife having died in 1890.
The funeral will be held at 2:30 tomorrow afternoon from the house, the Masons having charge of the ceremonies. Burial at Bluff City cemetery.
Abijah A. Lee
"A.A. Lee, Pioneer Elginite, Dead,"
The Elgin Daily News, February 28, 1912, p. 1.
First White Child Born in Plato Succumbs in Elgin.
SOLDIER IN CIVIL WAR
Many Years Member of Kane County Board--Was 72 years Old.
Abijah A. Lee, the first white child to be born in Plato township, veteran of the civil war, and assistant supervisor for many years, died at his home, 519 Highland avenue, at 12 o'clock this noon. He was 72 years old.
Mr. Lee had been in ill health for three weeks. Taken suddenly ill, he was confined to his bed for a few days. He rallied, but a week ago suffered a relapse.
Survivor of Hooker's Bodyguard.
Mr. Lee was one of the few surviving members of General Hooker's private bodyguard. He enjoyed a personal acquaintance with the war hero.
He was born September 4, 1839, when Plato and the surrounding country was wilderness, as yet scarcely deserted of its Indian inhabitants. His parents were Mr. and Mrs. John S. Lee. Mr. Lee resided on his father's farm during his boyhood. He attended school at Plato.
Mr. Lee enlisted as a private in Troop B of the Plato Cavalry, when President Lincoln issued his call for troops in 1861. Mr. Lee served for four and one-half years. During his service, Mr. Lee took part in many of the memorable battles of the war, including those of Lookout Mountain, Stony Ridge and Bull Run. He was with General Sherman on the famous "March to the Sea".
Discharged from the service in the spring of 1865, Mr. Lee returned to his home in Plato. He was married to Miss Eliza McArthur on December 25, the same year.
Mr. Lee is survived by one daughter, Mrs. K.C. Schwartzfager, two sisters, Mrs. Minnie Hadden of Aurora, Mrs. Lily B. Allen of Oakland, Cal., two brothers John and George of Elgin; and two grandsons, Lee and Harold Schwartzfager, also of Elgin. B.C. Lilley of Aurora and A.M. McCarthy of Elgin are brothers-in-law, and Mrs. Mary McCarthy is a sister-in-law.
"Death of A.T. Lewis,"
The Elgin Daily Courier, August 9, 1904, p. 1.
Veteran of the Civil War Passes Away
at His Home This Afternoon.
CAME TO ELGIN IN 1868.
Served in Many Capacities--Was in the Wisconsin Eagle Regiment.
Albert Theodore Lewis died at 1 o'clock this afternoon, after a prolonged illness.
Weeks before he breathed his last Mr. Lewis knew that his lease on life had been shortened, but he maintained a characteristic cheerfulness.
Deceased was born in Binghampton, N.Y., May 26th, 1842. Shortly after his arrival here, in 1868, he joined Monitor lodge, serving as marshall for fifteen years. He was identified with the organization of the Masonic association of Elgin, and was treasurer of the first board of directors. He participated in the ceremonies attendant on the laying of the temple corner stone, but illness prevented him from witnessing the dedicatory ceremonies.
For years he occupied an office in the Home Bank building, and was the attorney for the Elgin Loan and Homestead association. He had been a member of the Kane county board of supervisors, acting coroner, justice of the peace and commander of Veteran post No. 49, G.A.R.
Speaking of Mr. Lewis, old comrades at arms said: "He was a good soldier. He never forgot his old friends. In the ranks and after the war he began an active career in that glorious organization--the Grand Army of the Republic."
Mr. Lewis was a member of the famous "Eagle" regiment of Wisconsin.
Members of the immediate family are a widow and two children.
The time of the funeral will be announced tomorrow.
Every Saturday, September 22, 1888, p. 8.
Jos. Lightfoot died at his home, 14 Michigan street, Sept. 16, aged 49 years. Several months ago he received an injury from the prick of a fish's fin and his death is in consequence of blood poisoning. He leaves a wife and several children. He was buried on Tuesday by the G.A.R.
Henry S. Loomis
The Elgin Daily News, January 27, 1908, p. 3.
Henry S. Loomis, one of the oldest employes in point of service in the Elgin National Watch company, died shortly after 9 o'clock last evening. Death came not unexpectedly as Mr. Loomis had been a patient sufferer for more than two years. He was obliged to resign his position some months ago. His illness became more acute a fortnight ago when it was necessary for him to remain in bed.
Mr. Loomis was born May 4, 1848, at Norwich, Conn. He received his education in the schools of the place and later gained a thorough training as a machinist. During the war of the rebellion he served with the Union army in a Rhode Island regiment.
On coming to Elgin with his wife he took a position in the train room at the watch factory. Of recent years he had been in the machine room. His long residence in this city gave him a wide acquaintance in the factory, the Century club of which he was a member, Veteran Post, G.A.R., and the Modern Woodmen.
Brief services are to be held at the home in the Everett apartments, corner DuPage street and Park row, this evening at 7 o'clock when Dr. Charles L. Morgan will officiate. The remains will be taken to the former home in the east Tuesday, where the deceased is survived by three brothers and three sisters. Interment will take place in the family burying ground at Norwich.
Edward C. Lovell
"Death of E.C. Lovell,"
The Elgin Daily News, January 6, 1902, p. 1.
Jurist Passes Away Early This Morning
END OF A LONG AND FAITHFUL PUBLIC CAREER.
Judge Lovell Was a Veteran of the Civil War--
He Served the City in Various Capacities,
and Was County Judge for Two Terms--
Member of the State Legislature--Funeral Notice.
Quietly and peacefully, like a child lapses into slumber, Judge Edward C. Lovell died at 2:30 o'clock this morning at the family residence, No. 600 Villa street. He had been confined to his home sice the first of last week by the same malady with which he suffered so severely last summer. Deceased retained consciousness until the last.
Judge Lovell was through an active life of nearly sixty years prominent in city, county and state affairs. He served in many official capacities in a capable, upright, and faithful manner, which won for him honor and esteem. He lived a kindly christian life and his demise will be sincerely mourned by scores of devoted friends.
At the time of his death, Judge Lovell was a member of the First Congregational church. He was a board member of the Elgin National bank, and of the Elgin Historical and Scientific society, a member of the Elgin academy board of trustees, of Veteran post, No. 49, Grand Army of the Republic, of the Illinois division of the Loyal Legion and of the Century club. He was local attorney for the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railroad company.
Mr. Lovell was mayor of Elgin in 1877 and was city attorney during the years 1879 and 1880. He was elected a member of the board of education in 1876, serving three years in this capacity. In 1897 and 1898 he was president of the board. As member of the thirty-first general assembly, Judge Lovell served the state of Illinois and was most highly esteemed by his associates in Springfield, who were quick to recognize and appreciate his ability.
Twice Mr. Lovell was called upon to assume the responsible duties of county judge. He was first elected to this honorable position in 1882, and was re-elected four years later, leaving the bench in 1890. Since that time he has been actively engaged in the practice of his profession in this city.
Judge Lovell was born in Chicago July 18, 1842, and was the son of Vincent S. and Lucy Smith Lovell, the former a native of Yorkshire, England, and the latter of Whitestown, Oneida county, N.Y.
Vincent Lovell, the paternal grandfather, was also a native of Yorkshire, England, and came with his family to the United States after the war of 1812, because of his admiration of American institutions. In his family were twelve children. His death occurred in Whitestown, N.Y., at the age of 70 years. Several of the children came west, among whom were the late John Lovell and William Lovell of Elgin. The maternal grandfather of Judge Lovell was Daniel Smith, a native of Columbia county, N.Y., of Welsh ancestry. He died in Oneida county, N.Y., at the age of 70 years.
The late Vincent S. Lovell, father of Judge Lovell, came to the United States with parents at the age of 14 years and lived on a farm in Oneida county, N.Y. There he married Miss Lucy Smith. By this union two children were born, Edward C. and Vincent S., who died in December, 1892. The latter was a graduate of the University of Michigan and was a journalist for several years after leaving college.
In 1837 the father came with his young bride to Elgin, where he bought about 150 acres of land. On the death of her husband Mrs. Lovell took charge of the estate. A woman of fine education, she taught a private school in Elgin for some time and gave her sons her personal efforts. Later, they attended the public schools, then the Elgin academy and finally entered the University of Michigan at Ann Arbor. Their mother's death occurred in Elgin in June, 1894, at the age of 88 years.
Since early childhood, Edward C. Lovell has been a citizen of Elgin. His life has been an open book, earnest, helpful, and sincere. During the civil war, he enlisted and was commissioned adjutant of the 141st Illinois volunteer infantry, and a few months after the expiration of that service was made captain of Company C, 153d Illinois Volunteer infantry, in which he served till the autumn of 1865, when the regiment was mustered out. A greater part of Captain Lovell's time while in the regiment was spent on detached service, chiefly as inspector general on the staff of Gen. N.A.M. Dudley, and later on the staff of Gen. John E. Smith.
Mr. Lovell was a nephew of Generals Morgan L. and Giles A. Smith.
Before entering the service, Mr. Lovell taught school for a time. Re-entering the University of Michigan in 1865, he pursued the prescribed course and in 1868 was graduated from the literary department. Years before this he had determined to enter the legal profession, and to that end read law with Gen. John S. Wilcox, and after completing his college course in 1868 entered the law department of the University of Michigan from which he was graduated in 1870.
He opened a law office in Elgin and engaged in practice. His merits as a lawyer secured for him the nomination for the office of county judge in 1882, and he was duly elected. Four years afterward he was again nominated and again elected. Leaving the bench in 1890, he resumed the active practice of law in which he was engaged up to the time of his last illness.
On June 30th, 1885, Judge Lovell was united in marriage to Miss Carrie G. Watres of Scranton, Pa.: Four children were born of this union, Gertrude Caroline, Lucy Coultas, Margaret Louise and Vincent Watres. The last named died in infancy. Subsequently the wife and mother departed this life and was laid to rest beside her infant son.
Colonel Watres, a brother of Mrs. Lovell, and formerly Lieutenant governor of Pennsylvania, was at the bedside of Judge Lovell when he passed away.
The funeral of Judge Lovell will be held Wednesday at 2 p.m. from the First Congregational church. Dr. James Chalmers will officiate. Veteran post, Grand Army of the Republic, and the Kane County Bar association will attend.
David J. Lynch
"The Last Roll Call,"
The Elgin Advocate, August 23, 1890, p. 5.
Capt. D.J. Lynch Answers the Summons.
Shortly after midnight this morning David J. Lynch breathed his last. His death had been expected for a long time. He had not been well for years--not, in fact, since he left the army, where he was wounded. He was born Sept. 22, 1841, at Rochester, N.Y., and therefore was in his 49th year. About the year of 1845 he came to Elgin. He married Margaret Clifford, sister of Eugene Clifford. In 1862 he enlisted in the army. He was captain of Co. I, 58th Illinois infantry, and was a gallant soldier, serving, we believe, till the close of the war. The gunshot wound received in the chest is considered the cause of his fatal disease, consumption. Five children are left--Misses Eva, Kate, and Mary, and Thomas and Frank. There is also one brother, Eugene, and two sisters, Mrs. Thomas Murphy and Mrs. Terrence Connor. The late General Lynch was his brother. His father was the late Timothy Lynch. For many years the deceased carried on the grocery business in West Elgin, but for a number of weeks had been unable to be at the store. He was a brave soldier and made a brave fight against the inevitable during several weary years. The funeral will be held at 9 o'clock Friday forenoon at the house, 100 North Crystal street, and at 10 at St. Mary's church. The deceased had been a member of the G.A.R. and later of the Union Veterans Union.
"Eugene Lynch Is Dead,"
The Elgin Daily News, June 27, 1902, p. 1.
DEMISE OF AN OLD SOLDIER, A RESIDENT FOR HALF A CENTURY.
End Came Peacefully Last Night--
Deceased Had Been Identified with Local Interests Many Years.
Eugene Lynch, for fifty years a leading citizen of Elgin, died last night at 9:30 o'clock at his home on Crystal street of congestion of the brain. He has been in a precarious condition for several months, having been taken suddenly ill at the old Soldier's club in the opera house block. He has been confined to his bed for the last two weeks and died last night quietly. At his bed side the members of his family gathered and watched their father as his life slowly ebbed away.
Mr. Lynch was born in Ireland. He came to America when a boy and located in Elgin. He was from an illustrious family and his brother, General William F. Lynch, attained fame during the civil war. Eugene Lynch served during the war as a member of the 58th Illinois regiment and received an honorable dishcharge with the rank of a lieutenant. For the greater part of his career in Elgin he has been engaged in the grocery business and it is said that he died leaving a comfortable fortune for his wife and children.
Besides a wife he leaves four children, one sister, four half sisters and one half brother. They are: James W. and Robert of Chicago, Eugene and Anna of Elgin; Mrs. Terrence Connor of Elgin, Margaret of Elgin, Mrs. William Kemler of Streator, Josephine, Anna and Timothy R. of Elgin.
Deceased was 69 years old the third day of this month. He was a member of the Grand Army of the Republic and was one of the best known men in Elgin. He was a loyal soldier and his chief delight in his declining life was tell stories of the achievements of his regiment of which he was very proud. He has been a familiar figure in politics and has figured prominently in local affairs for many years.
The funeral will be held Sunday afternoon from the residence, No. 60 Crystal street, at 2 o'clock and from St. Mary's Catholic church at 3 o'clock. The G.A.R. and K. of P. orders will attend in a body.
William R. Lynd
Every Saturday, April 1, 1899, p. 8.
William R. Lynd died suddenly in his room at the Commercial hotel, March 24, aged 55 years. He had lived here most of his life, being a carpenter by trade. He was at one time a member of the firm of Lynd & Rineheimer, and was city building inspector at the time of his death. Mr. Lynd was a member of Veteran post, G.A.R., and of Monitor lodge of Masons. He had been twice married, but left no wife or children, four brothers and sisters, John, James, Mesdames C.T. Aldrich and H.C. Brintnall.