Grace United Methodist Church Scrapbook
On June 26, 2005, after 123 years, Grace United Methodist Church on Elgin’s west side held it’s last service. Due to declining membership and rising expenses, the congregation could no longer keep it’s doors open. On July 1, 2005 the Grace United Methodist congregation officially merged with Wesley United Methodist church and the building was put up for sale.
Until 1882, the only Methodist church in Elgin was located on the east side. In September 1882 a meeting was held to discuss the founding of a church on the west side. The corner of South and Jackson Streets was chosen as the location and a temporary frame structure was built. The first service was held on October 29, 1882. Ground was broken in spring 1883, the cornerstone was laid on July 11, 1883 and the church was dedicated on November 1, 1885.
Over the years Grace Church has undergone several name changes. It was first officially known as Second Methodist Episcopal Church (unofficially as “Second Methodist”) and later as Grace Methodist Episcopal, Grace Methodist and finally Grace United Methodist.
When the church closed, the Elgin Area Historical Society received several boxes of records and memorabilia from Grace Church. Included in these boxes were two scrapbooks which were given to the EGS due to the genealogical information they contained.
If you would like a copy of any of the items included in the index, we request a $5.00 donation to our Acquisition Fund, plus copy costs of $.10 each and postage.
Enjoy the index.